What is Sourcefinder?

Sourcefinder is about testing the performance and quality of the Duchamp Sourcefinding application. We've built a simulated cube of the sky containing various radio sources, and it's the job of Duchamp to work out where the sources are. Our volunteers are currently running Duchamp over the whole cube of simulated data to work how many of the radio sources in the cube it can find. Duchamp will need to be able to identify correct sources while keeping false positives to a minimum.

We welcome any sort of feedback, advice, or bug reports. You can either make a post on the forums or send us an email at icrar.tsn.website@gmail.com . We're happy to hear from you.

Join Sourcefinder

User of the Day


Real data coming soon!
I've just arrived back from a meeting with Kirsten, and I have some extremely good news to share with everyone!

ASKAP has almost completed observations of its first ~500GB cube, and we're going to be processing it when it's done!
Running a sourcefinding application on ASKAP data hasn't been done yet, so this is going to be a world first.

While we're waiting for ASKAP to be done, we're going to be running the simulated super cube again, this time using a new sourcefinding application called SoFiA.
We're going to be looking at whether SoFiA is any better at finding sources than Duchamp is.

Once we have data from both Duchamp and SoFiA, I'll be working on cross matching the sources they found with the original sources catalogue, then we'll have a clear picture of which is the better sourcefinder.

I'm also told that there's a very high chance of a paper being written on the comparison between Duchamp and SoFiA as sourcefinders, so I'll be sure to keep you all up to date if I hear any more about it.

Finally, there's been a bit of a back end storage issue with some of the data we've processed, and I'll need to re-run a few sets of work units, so expect some more work to be coming fairly soon.
21 Jun 2017, 4:52:54 UTC · Discuss

681GB Down
Congratulations everyone, we made it through the first 681GB of Sourcefinder cubelets!
You've all done amazing work so far, and everyone at theSkyNet thanks you for it.

Now that we've processed a large portion of the simulated cube data, I'm going to be focusing on developing some visualisation tools to allow everyone to actually see the sources they've processed. This tool is going to be incorporated in to theSkyNet.org.
You're basically going to be able to select a cubelet and parameter set to view, and you'll be shown the locations of the sources within that cubelet along with the name of the users who found the sources.
I'm also planning on adding credit stats from Sourcefinder to your dashboard on theSkyNet.org at some point.

To my knowledge, there should also be another ~300GB of data somewhere to process, as the original supercube was around 1TB in size. I believe this data wasn't extracted from the supercube for whatever reason, so I'm going to be working out how to extract it.
Until then, there wont be any more Sourcefinder work units unfortunately.

Anyway, thank you again to all of you for crunching all of this data. I hope you all enjoy the visualisation tool when I've finished building it :)
14 Jun 2017, 0:15:54 UTC · Discuss

Update 5 June 2017
The set of work units I'm pushing out this week are the last of our 681GB batch of data.
To my knowledge, there is still more data to process once this is done, but I'll need to find out how to extract it from the main supercube.
All of the data up until now had been pre-extracted ahead of time for me.

Here are our stats for this week:

Total Cubes: 40269
Total Results: 28105
Total Canonical Results: 12197. 30.2888077678%
Average Results Per Cube: 0.697931411259

Good Results: 26197. 93.2111723893%
Bad Results: 1908. 6.78882761075%

Client Bad: 1906. 6.78171143925%
Client InProgress: 2. 0.00711617149973%
Client Good: 26197. 93.2111723893%

Server Inactive: 0. 0.0%
Server Unsent: 0. 0.0%
Server InProgress: 581. 2.06724782067%
Server Over: 27524. 97.9327521793%

7 Jun 2017, 5:07:39 UTC · Discuss

Update 31 May 2017
Not much this week, just a new set of work units.

Here are this week's stats:

Total Cubes: 39928
Total Results: 38293
Total Canonical Results: 11109. 27.8225806452%
Average Results Per Cube: 0.959051292326

Good Results: 35874. 93.6829185491%
Bad Results: 2419. 6.31708145092%

Client Bad: 2405. 6.28052124409%
Client InProgress: 14. 0.0365602068263%
Client Good: 35874. 93.6829185491%

Server Inactive: 0. 0.0%
Server Unsent: 9512. 24.8400490951%
Server InProgress: 1777. 4.6405348236%
Server Over: 27004. 70.5194160813%

31 May 2017, 5:46:54 UTC · Discuss

Update 24 May 2017
Modified text on the create account page to clarify that the user will require BOINC when signing up to the project.

Updated text on the front page, as we're not a beta project any longer.

Updated forum breadcrumb trail to always have a link back to the main Message Boards.

Pushed out another batch of work units. I'm also transferring some reserve units in case we run out again.

Here are the stats for this week:

Total Cubes: 31248
Total Results: 26217
Total Canonical Results: 8921. 28.5490271377%
Average Results Per Cube: 0.838997695853

Good Results: 24264. 92.5506350841%
Bad Results: 1953. 7.44936491589%

Client Bad: 1907. 7.27390624404%
Client InProgress: 46. 0.175458671854%
Client Good: 24264. 92.5506350841%

Server Inactive: 0. 0.0%
Server Unsent: 4705. 17.9463706755%
Server InProgress: 654. 2.49456459549%
Server Over: 20858. 79.559064729%

24 May 2017, 6:06:53 UTC · Discuss

... more

News is available as an RSS feed   RSS

©2017 ICRAR